January 10, 2018
Technological solutions award win for IATA’s RampVR, powered by Future Visual
How does VR help fix a $3 billion a year problem?
Great news – RampVR, one of our more recent projects, of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), has won the Technological Solutions category of International Airport Review’s 2017 awards programme.
We’re incredibly proud of the work we, alongside IATA, have put in to create this engaging and effective training tool, and we’re pleased to see this receiving recognition within the international air transport industry.
RampVR provides a virtual reality environment for training airport ground operations teams, testing various scenarios for air marshals and aircraft turnaround crew. By creating detailed, immersive and realistic environments that would otherwise only be experienced on the airport tarmac itself, IATA are able to expose their trainees to life-like experiences and test potential problems that would be almost impossible and prohibitively expensive to simulate on the ground. It fully complies with the standards of the Airport Handling Manual and the IATA Ground Operations Manual.
Training, coaching and instruction is one of the best practical uses for VR, as this project shows. Training or testing ground ops teams on-the-job is expensive, stressful and dangerous. RampVR bypasses this in an effective way, that actually opens up more potential scenarios to trainees, helping to prepare them more efficiently by simulating different lighting and weather conditions at the airport, along with practicing on different types of aircraft. Performance metrics are provided to analyse efficiency and encourage improvement.
RampVR delivers on two fronts; firstly it allows ground crew to be much better prepared and able to respond to high-risk safety scenarios, and secondly it helps reduce the $3 billion annual global cost of ground service equipment incidents involving aircraft.
This is just one example of the almost limitless number of ways VR can be utilised for training. Want to find out how VR training technology could work for you and your company? Contact us and let’s chat.
RampVR In the media:
- New York Times – The Future of Flying? You Can See It Now
- Runway Girl Network: Rockwell Collins finds virtual reality drives seat design
- Air Cargo News: New players and platform solutions will bring far-reaching change to air cargo
- Christine Negroni: Wowch! Tow Truck Lacerates Kenya Airways 737
- Linkedin Pulse: Employers Can Adopt VR Behind the Scenes
- Event Garde: Bright Idea: Training virtually
- Jane’s Airport 360: Virtual reality enhances ramp training
- Airside International: Training
- Flight Safety Australia: Ground handling training comes in from the cold (or heat)
- MENAFN : Bangladesh- IATA launches RampVR, first virtual reality training tool for ground operations
- Air Transport News: IATA Launches RampVR (TM) the First Virtual Reality Training Tool for Ground Operations
- Tnooz: Virtual reality takes ground handler training to a new level
- VR Status: Meet the first VR training tool for Ground Operations
- Associations Now: IATA AIMS FOR THE GROUND WITH NEW VR TRAINING TOOLS
- Aviation Pros: IATA Launches RampVR Training Tool for Ground Operations
- Travel Industry Wire: IATA Launches RampVR (TM) the First Virtual Reality Training Tool for Ground Operations
- Transportation Today News: International Air Transport Association launches virtual reality training platform
- Asian Airlines & Aerospace: IATA Launches First Virtual Reality Training Tool for Ground Operations
- European Logistics Portal: IATA launched the first VR training tool for ground operations
- Air Freight Logistics: VIDEO: IATA Launches RampVR Training Tool for Ground Operations
- Passenger Terminal Today: IATA launches VR training program for ground operations
- Air Traffic Management: IATA debuts virtual ground ops training platform
- Travel Trade Weekly: IATA Launches VR Training Platform
- Travel World Online: IATA Launches RampVR (TM) the First Virtual Reality Training Tool for Ground Operations
- Haptic.al: International Air Transport Association launches VR training platform
- International Travel Report: IATA Launches RampVR the First Virtual Reality Training Tool for Ground Operations
- Airline Ground Services: The Future of Training
- Cargo Talk: IATA’s Perfect Landing on Virtual Training
- Travel TV India: IATA’s 11th World Cargo Symposium
- Cargo Airports & Airline Services: AR and VR: A New Reality for Air Cargo?
- Passenger Terminal World: Ground Handling
- Orient Aviation: IATA introduces virtual reality to MRO training